Friday 7 December 2012

What a Covenant...

My thoughts are running amok. The news is filled with so much. So much is happening at the same time.

*I believe in Jehovah Jireh. I Believe theres heaven, I believe in war, I believe you when you say you've lost all faith. But you have to believe in some thing. Something.....*

200 students were expelled from a university a couple of days ago. Not from just any higher institution. From an institition pupurted to be 'Gods university'.
For crimes ranging from not wearing ties, loitering to smoking pot. Whether these numbers and crimes are accurately reported we will never know. But my question is: has God also expelled these students?

But one may argue that these students and their guardians fully understood and agreed to the terms and conditions. But should the house of God operate on terms and conditions?

Let me put it to you this way:

From my understanding, the school is a representation of a system which aims to inculcate the proper Christian beliefs in young people, generally in persons under its tutelage. Yes? Yes!

So my guess is that students who are enrolled in any course of study are expected to be taught these positive christian values.
But like every human being we have short comings. No matter the amount of positivity we are exposed to, we have shortcomings. How then is it feasible to banish students who come short of these expectations?
My interpretation of such expulsion is: "get out oh sinner who can never be of any good to anyone or the kingdom of God"

Rather, I believe such erring students belong in these institutions of God. If students are being expelled, its not just proof of their human shortcomings but clear proof of the failure of the higher institution concerned.

I believe expulsion is contradicting the message of love and forgiveness that The Christ went through such great lengths to pass on.
I am of the opinion that our churches should offer a remand system to these students. Infact not just these students but everyone in the society, from those who commit murder to thieves, rapists etc.

I have visited and spent time at remand homes in lagos and I have never seen any church come over to speak to the young people who are left at the mercy of the government.

*I don't believe that we are wicked and I know we sin. But we all try...*

I know for a fact that Jesus Christ died in order to redeem us sinners. Who are we to banish trangressors? Who are we to pass a complete and final judgement on the lives of people?

I wonder if after expulsion the schools keep in touch with these students?? All I can do is wonder...

If the church says it can not can effect change in the lives of young people, who then can? The government?

I believe the efforts by the household of God to change young people's lives for the better should be relentless. Our Lord told a wonderful parable about the shepherd who went out of his way to find that one lost sheep.

Each and everyone of us is that lost sheep. If I loose my way, will no one come for me?

'DWN

2 comments:

  1. Nice write-up... + ur brave touching 1 of those topics people stay away from. Didn't know you write, & write good. Now I gotta check em all out.

    These are my opinion on some points, I'm sure they can be wrong & are open to correction;

    On ur question "But should the house of God operate on terms and conditions". I would say there must be "rules & regulations" to avoid chaos. What matters is the approach in correcting defaulters.

    Also, you believe, I believe, who else believes? I count 6pple. We could jst go & visit a group in the name of Christ. The church shouldn't be seen as just an "organised registered body" rather indivdual believers make up the body (church) of Christ... So we all have a role to play as the "church" rather than waiting for "a banner carrying group".

    ReplyDelete
  2. Covenant and co may be our christian unis in Nigeria, but they're definitely not the only christian universities in the world. I don't understand their own brand of Christianity, they're excluding the very people they are meant to guide/save.

    ReplyDelete