Tuesday 4 December 2012

Goodmorning!

"Good morning omoge, baby mi how you dooo...." whispered Brymo to me :)
Okay, not me. Just through my phone, as my alarm tone. Brymos music ahhhh! *le swoon*. This is just one of the perks I enjoy as an avid fan of our nigerian music industry.

I set my alarm on snooze, roll over and I wonder what everyone elses alarm tone is. From my friends who have terry g's free madness waking them up at 5am to the others with d'princes 'goody bag' lool Thankfully, the list is endless :)

I couldnt have said this 8-10 years ago about our music industry. This is not to say that music was not available at that time but theres a huge difference between what obtains now and then.

A couple of weeks ago, I got a massive jolt as to how far our music has come. Home alone, I heard some kids singing an thats pretty regular for where I live. But they began to scream in really high pitched voices. Looking out of the window into the next house, I began laughing hysterically.

Heres the picture; one kid had climbed onto a closed well ( the stage) and was wielding his microphone ( a tree branch) and about 7 other children were down on the ground. The kid on the well was yelling "Ema dami duro ooooo..." And the kids beneath him screamed "emi omo babaolowo!..." And there seemed to be this other kid who was the hypeman making beats with his mouth.
I watched on as the performer jumbled and fumbled through the rest of the lyrics and I was impressed as a little girl, no more than 5years old was dancing like her life depended on it.

This is how much music influences not only young people but every single person. Im of the opinion that in this country music for many is a means of escape. When ASUU goes on strike, when our president brings us surprise 'gifts', when a bus conductor doesnt give you your change, when NEPA is just being NEPA, when you are studying for finals, when your favourite jeans gets ripped, when you meet that special 'someone'..... aaaah! Naija music has been there! lol

I believe there are different types of listeners. There are the people who have wtched Dagrin come out of his environment and can relate because they are in similar situations. And they believe that if Dagrin can be such a success so can they in whatever sphere of life they choose.

I am inspired by the confidence and audacity some of out musicians have. Its easy to ask why young people dont get inspired by doctors or lawyers as much as they are by musicians. And I believe that not only is their craft always in our faces but their stories are easy to relate to.
Their artform gives us confidence, their lyrics trigger memories, their carriage motivates us, their rhythms set the scene for some of our greatest dreams and fantasies.

Our music has made me question myself and my motives as an individual. I wonder how I can make an impact as well. I wonder how I can create something from nothing and not have to wait on 'the system'

So Whether its via headsets, loudspeakers, street djs, internet radio, tv, the kids on your street or from Iya basira you hear the music....
Keep tooting the naija music horn!

*Good moning omoge baby mi how you....*
There goes my alarm again. Oh crap I'm late!

'Dewunmi Nation.

1 comment:

  1. This is incredible... Good start and conclusion too

    ReplyDelete