Saturday 15 December 2012

Terror

It had been a tough journey but I'd made it home. Just like that coca cola advert, I had made it home.

Too tired to wake up for church, I slept late into the day. Groggy and hungry I got up and headed straight for the kitchen. With cereal and cold milk in my bowl, I turned on the tv. The news, my favourite.

Something was on, something sinister was happening. Duh, its the news.
Is that a woman crying with her hands on her head? I had to go closer to the screen, my glasses were out of sight, no pun intended (was that even a pun?)

There had been an explosion. In a church. On christmas day. Here, In Nigeria.

"Religious sect."

"Several dead."

"Responsibility claimed"

I had absolutely no Idea what to think. There was some noise in the house.
My family! They are back!

I heaved a sigh of relief. I did not even live anywhere near the state the explosion happened in. But I was relieved to see them all. Ten fingers, ten toes. Complete.

My cereal was soggy. I couldn't eat. I was unhappy. I wondered about those who had died.
Had some people cried for help? Did they know they were going to die?

I wondered about the people who like me could not make it to church that day, who could not be in that church that particular day.

It could have been anyone. The families, they could have been my neighbours, they could have been your relatives...

I thought about the children. The little children who lost their siblings, who lost their parents.

I thought of familys who all sat in one pew arguing about who got to seat where.
Fathers berating their wives for taking too long to tie their geles.
I thought of the mothers, the women in the christian women association who were trying to out do each other with their 'christmas lace' and gold jewellry. Where there single people in church that day? What happened to the reverend father? What about the choristers? The altar boys...?

I couldnt stop. I went on and on.

Did the bombers know the attackers? Did the terrorists watch the faces of the church members light up when they sang 'Oh come let us adore Him' just before they murdered them?

Did the congregation even get to sing that song? Did they live 'til that part of the service?

"We are close to the suffering of the Nigerian church and the entire Nigerian people so tried by terrorist violence, even in these days that should be of joy and peace," said the Vatican

"This was another manifestation of blind and absurd violence which has no respect for human life and seeks to enflame more hate and confusion".

Little did I know that it was just the begining. The begining of very confusing times.

For me, it was difficult to understand why anyone would want to cause others such pain. It was difficult to see why one would commit such murders as well as his own. Its hard for me to understand. What is more difficult for me to understand is our government's "bark no bite" attitude to the situation at hand.

Its 2012 and Uncle Jona hasnt made good on his promises. Hold on, what promises? The country is still beseiged with attacks from the same group.

His replies to questions concerning terrorisim are likened to one who has no inkling of the gravity of the matter at hand.

This is where politics comes into play. But I nor be politician. But should human lives be subject to political strategies?

What a tumultous year.

I'm here in an entirely different part of our country. It is easy for me to be unconcerned. Its easy.
But I am concerned not because its the 'liberal-world-peace-united-nations-thing' to do.

I am concerned because my safety is not guaranteed.
I have been shown that as an average citizen of this country, if I happen to die by such means, my death will be avenged by no one.
It would be just another death due to uncurtailed terrorism. Ces't fini.

Call it selfishness but it is our concern because you and I may be the next victims.

"Why I nor go hide for inside aeroplane? Haaa if i get chance me I don move commot." I heard this passing comment about the Nigerian stoleaway

As someone said on the radio the other day," "They don't care, the government just doesn't care"

As christmas day approaches, I wonder which house of God would be hit this year. What part of the country would it be in?

Hopefully none.

Hopefully, we are allowed to celebrate the birth of our saviour, this time with peace.

'DWN

#

No comments:

Post a Comment