Wednesday 12 December 2012

2012

In 2011, I heard that the world was going to end in 2012.
"Alright, lets get there first" I said, cracking jokes whenever the issue came up and secretly hoping the '2012 thing' would just go away.

Its 2012.
And as the predicted date of 21st December approaches, a small fear grips my heart.
The fear of the unknown is potent in my heart.
The fear that the earth may be knocked out if its orbit and I would no longer have internet connection. Fear.
Or that the world will freeze over and I won't be able to exfoliate, maybe the world would be invaded by aliens and we would be forced to wear those hideous 'colour block' outfits.
Fear.

"Its a lie oh the world cannot end jare. Ive not finished my IT the world can not end oh" my brother said.

I swear, Im thinking almost the same thing. So much I havent achieved and the world wants to end?
Iro nla!

In my quest for knowledge, I read wide. I ended up in utter confusion.
The doomsday clock, the mayan calendar, the 12-12-12 theory, the nostradamus theory... Aaahhh! The list is endless.

Then the issue becomes "What theory do you believe..?"

Being human, we often find ourselves knee deep in conspiracies and propagandas. These conspiracies are created by mere men. Mere men who In my opinion are inspired by nothing but fear.

I wonder then, does man not see himself beyond the year 2012? Are we so overcome by the fear of the unknown that we seek refuge in shelters of paranoia? Why then have we allowed our fears and innermost thoughts to be preyed upon by mere conspiracy merchants?

"madam this is my space, I was here first!" she screeched. "No I bin dey here, I go collect deposit form" The bank was agog. There were so many women in the hall.
"If nor be dis 12-12-12 tin, you nor go see me for dis place!" Others on the queue nodded in agreement.

"Oga teller, what do you mean I cant clear my account? My frien' give me my money!"

A group of women huddled by the water dispenser. Sadly their voices were still pretty loud.

"See ehn whether the world wan end or not I go collect my co-operatif money oh"
"nor mind dem esusu people wan collect our money go afterlife, God nor go gree dem!"

Church conventions, all night prayer sessions, a desperation to do all you've never had the opportunity to do.

Act on impulse. Give to the poor, repent, forgive, maybe even set that long awaited p.
Aren't all these acts due to fear?
Fear that I may not have lived up to my full potential, that I may not have done the right things or that for the things I have failed to do, I will be punished by my creator..

And so as the world is purported to end on the 12th, 21st or whenever, Im here with a tonne of memories of earth, both good and bad.
I am coming to terms with how I have lived my life. I realise that I have had the opportunity to do so much but I havent taken these opportunities. So why feel cheated if the world ends today?

"If you dont stand for something, you'll fall for anything..."

Here I stand: "For God did not give us a Spirit of fear but of power and love and sound mind"

'DWN

2 comments: